Water and Sewer Rates
The City of West Fargo hired an independent utility rate expert to conduct a Cost of Service Analysis (COSA), which builds the rate based on the cost of providing water and sewer according to industry standard methodology. The result of the City of West Fargo’s COSA created a rate structure that covers the cost of providing clean water, treating sewage and maintaining water and sewer infrastructure.
- The water charge is comprised of a monthly fixed charge based on the property’s meter size plus a usage charge per 1,000 gallons.
- The sewer charge is comprised of a monthly fixed charge plus a usage charge per 1,000 gallons.
|Monthly Fixed Charge1||Tier 1 Usage Charge (per 1,000 gallons)2||Tier 2 Usage Charge (per 1,000 gallons)3|
|1 Monthly fixed charge based on meter size and increases for large meters.|
2 Tier 1 for 1,000 to 20,000 gallons used.
3 Tier 2 for more than 20,000 gallons used.
|Monthly Fixed Charge||Usage Charge|
(per 1,000 gallons)1
|1 Usage charge based on metered water usage.|
2 Residential usage charges cap at 8,000 gallons.
On average, residential accounts have a 3/4-meter and uses 4,000 gallons of water per month in the winter.
|Monthly Fixed Charge||Usage Charge (per 1,000 gallons)||Total|
|Water||$7.25||+||(4 x $7.00)||=||$35.25|
|Sewer||$9.00||+||(4 x $4.00)||=||$25.00|
- What do the rates actually pay for?
- Why did the rate change?
- What is a Cost of Service Analysis (COSA) and how does it work?
- What is the basis of a Fixed Charge?
- What is the Usage Charge based on?
- Do you pay more if you use more water?
- How did you decide how many gallons were in each tier?
- Are businesses and apartments subject to the same increases?
- Will bills go up for those who use the same or less amount of water?
- Will the new water rates make watering the lawn too expensive?
- If rates are increasing this year, why are they increasing again next year?
- How will the City announce the rate changes?
- Will rent go up in apartments due to this?
- Is there an opportunity to find assistance for those on a fixed income?
- What do West Fargo residents pay in comparison to Fargo residents?
- When does this go into effect?
- Where can I view the new water and sewer rates?
- How will I be billed if I use the City of West Fargo's sewer system but not the water system?
- Why does the City of West Fargo use water usage to calculate sewer charges?